Prison & Hangmans Field
The plaque is situated on the Travellers Joy Public House in Downhall Road.
Until 1940 Rayleigh Prison (the property was called Louisa Terrace and/or The Barracks)stood here whilst opposite once stood the Gallows in an area known as Gallows Mead or Hangman's Field.
Thomas Linggood, of a well respected local family, claimed to have revealed the stumps of the gallows and ghostly stories and unusual occurences are still claimed to this day.
Back to Rayleigh Town Museum website
© Rayleigh Town Museum