The plaque which is just inside the front door on the right commemorates Rayleigh castle which was erected soon after the Norman invasion of 1066. It was the only Essex castle mentioned in the Domesday Survey published in 1086. The castle was finally demolished in 1394 by permission of King Richard II.
Back to Rayleigh Town Museum website
© Rayleigh Town Museum