Elephant & Castle Inn
Until 1923 The Elephant and Castle Inn was on the corner of Castle Road and the High Street.
Castle Road was originally known as Meeting House Lane.
In the 1670's, Reverend Abraham Caley was twice ejected from the Parish Church for not conforming to the act of Uniformity. He held clandestine meetings and he was only able to continue his ministry due to the patronage of Lady Riche of Rochford Hall.
Back to Rayleigh Town Museum website
© Rayleigh Town Museum