The Weir Pub
The first road in this country built specifically for motorised vehicles, the London-Southend Arterial Road was originally a single carriageway largely built by hand.
The Weir section was opened on the 25th March 1925 by Prince Henry of Gloucester, watched by over 1,000 local residents. In the early years an AA man often stood at the crossroads saluting members.
Later it became a roundabout before the underpass was built.
The Weir Hotel opened to serve passing trade.
Back to Rayleigh Town Museum website
© Rayleigh Town Museum