King George V Playing Field
For many years Webster's Meadow was owned by the family butchers of that name for grazing cattle prior to slaughter and sale at their shop in Rayleigh High Street.
In 1936 Norman Webster decided to sell the land although Rayleigh Urban District Council did not proceed with the purchase until 1950 with part funding from the King George's Playing Field Foundation.
One of the first events to take place once the playing field opened was part of the town's Queen Elizabeth Coronation celebrations in 1953.
Back to Rayleigh Town Museum website
© Rayleigh Town Museum